Saturday, May 1, 2010

Window Shopping: Tailtap, May 2010

Photobucket

This is a column that I've been wanting to do for a minute or so now. Basically, it's a fun chance for me to drool all over my laptop, while I'm checking out all of the cool-ass shit that I'd probably be buying, if my bank account weren't perpetually running on empty. Damn skateboards, man. More addictive than crack, I tell ya. Anyway: The first installment is a quick go-round at Tailtap (www.tailtap.com), to see what they're not selling me today, because I am one broke-ass bloke...



tailtap


First of all, Buddy Carr (and his lovely, Traci) are fully cool-ass people. Seriously. Buddy's got some deep roots in skateboarding, and he's a straight ripper to boot. And, Traci's a wonderful lady with a killer accent. So, calling over there is always a treat. Maybe Buddy will pony up, and send over some skate-photos of some of his classic, fully-lapped smith grinds in ridiculous-sized bowls, because they're boss as hell. One can only hope...


Tailtap specializes in hard-to-find, classic skateboards from the '70s and the '80s, with a modern twist. Many of the brands that they deal with, are true legends of skateboarding. And likewise, they're [generally] not readily available, almost anywhere else. Very few shops have the depth of selection that Tailtap has. And some of their stuff is so exclusive, that it's only available at Tailtap.


Tailtap prides themselves on impeccable customer service. I'd say that it's "pretty good", most of the time. Only once did they piss me off... which isn't that bad, I suppose. On the other hand: There's always a ton of "freebies" in my packages, they're always packed carefully, and they always arrive on time. So, all in all, they've got a pretty good track record with me.


Alrighty, on with the drooling we go...!




tailtap


Apparently, this was Tailtap's best seller of 2009: The Alva '77, complete with Bennetts and Alligators. So classic, man. I especially like the multi-view photos that Tailtap does [from time to time]; that's always helpful when we're buying in an online world. Just $159. Not too shabs!



tailtap


Ahhhhhhh! Here's what I mean by "rare, and hard-to-find"! A classic Bahne Bob Mohr "Bullet" complete, set up with Bennetts and Alligators again. Just look at those tapered wheelwells! Beautiful. A measly $145?! Nutty.




tailtap


The brand-new(ish) Bennett "Locker Rocker". Meant to be a quick little commuting-to-class bullet, it features a nose hole for hanging up in the locker, on your wall at home, or locking up to a bike rack... I'm not so sure about that last one, though. Wheels and trucks can still be swiped... but, it's a cute little fucker. Wish I had one... or, at least side pics of the board, so I can see if it has any concave or not. Another $159.00 swoop in the making.




tailtap


Dogtown Matt Archbold model, with GFH Fatties, and Randals. This is skateboarding in the raw, kiddies. If it had Bennetts on it, I'd say go get one, find a pool, and start learning how to truly rip. Again with the $159 dealy.




tailtap


The strikingly beautiful, $321.00 Loaded Dervish, complete with Orangatangs and Paris trucks... although, those look like Randals to my eyes. One of our perpetual "best of" winners here at The Life. Feel it.




tailtap


Tunnel always comes up with the coolest shit. Here's the new "Baldy Pipeline" model, set up with Bennett Vectors and Tunel Rocks. If yu ever wanted to skate like a legit Z-Boy, here's your best chance. The subtle (but effective) spoon-nose concave is a Tunnel trademark (It's the same concave used on the slightly smaller "Retro" complete), and it allows you to fully max this bad boy out in roundwall situations. The 8.5" width is a huge improvement in the bowl-ability of this puppy... and, as I recall, the wheelbase is pretty generous, too. This, is my personal must-get for 2010...



tailtap


Here's what happens when my slacker-ass slacks off: Shit sells out! Dammit...! And, they even leave the photo up, just to make me weep myself to sleep every night. Thanks, guys...! I love you, too...



tailtap


I knew I shoulda never left the "completes" section. Classic Cadillac Wheels poster repros, only eight bucks each. I need to swindle a raise, dude. No joke.



tailtap


Big. Wide. Hard. Conical. And, mach-speed fast. Rainskates. Some of the best in the biz...



I think that's enough masochism for one night, broham. Go swipe some of this shit before I can, you lucky dawg you. "Ask for a raise"... I got it. Laters!


Photobucket