Sunday, May 9, 2010

Skateshop Spotlight: TOC, Terre Haute, Indiana

Photobucket

TOC Skateshop
Terre Haute, Indiana

by Bud Stratford


In my opinion, TOC is the best skate shop in the entire midwest. I know this, through real-life, first-hand experience. You can argue, whine, squeal, snicker, and hate all you want... but, you're still gonna lose if you argue with me on this one. Read on, brothaman, and see for yourself why this is the case.

It all began just prior to my 2008 Summer Tour. That tour resulted in my "And The Road Goes On" piece in the Holidays 2009 issue of Concrete Wave Magazine. But, in the spring of 2008, that article was in the very, very beginning stages. It was just an idea, at that time. Maybe, not even a full-fledged idea yet. Just a case of wishful daydreaming, really...

Anyway, that spring, I was calling virtually every skate shop in the five-state region (Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky). Just to find out where they were, who was in charge, and what was going on and stuff. I mean, I really didn't want to travel hundreds of miles from home, just to find out that nothing was happening, right...? That would've totally sucked ass. I figured, it'd be way safer to call ahead of time, and see what the hell's up.

So, I'm calling all these shops... and, jesus bleedin' christ, some of the dudes answering the phones at these shops were just like... the most unenthusiastic buncha guys you could ever imagine. And then, to make matters even worse, when I told them what I was doing, and why I was coming by... they didn't seem to really care all that much. Maybe magazine-tours come through their owns every single week... who knows? All I know is, I got some nasty-ass vibes from some of these fuckin' shops. So much so, that I actually avoided a few of them during the course of my tour. I mean, seriously: If they're that dicky on the phone? Then I couldn't even imagine meeting some of these dildoheads in person...



Photobucket

Here they are! If you need me to tell you which one is "Elizabeth", and which one is "Jeremy", then you've got more problems than I could ever help ya with, there, buddy...



Liz and Jeremy of TOC in Terre Haute were, and still are, the exceptions to the rule. When I first called TOC, Liz was all bubbles and happiness, right off the bat. As she always is, I soon found out. So, I introduced myself, I told her who I was, and what I was doing... and, my gawd, you'd swear that 'ol girl just won the zillion-dollar jackpot or something! All enthusiasm, all the time, and then some.
Now, that's what I like to hear on the other end of the horn, when I call a skateshop. Enthusiasm is, after all, pretty infectious stuff. Have it, give it, and it'll all come 'round, eventually. Liz had "enthusiasm" coming out of her ears, man. I felt it coming through the cellphone, and it kicked ass.

So, yeah. Liz- whewboy! Right away, I knew that I'd just stumbled upon something, or someone, unique beyond imagination. And, I was right. The first time that I went to TOC, it was like... Liz and Jer were the best friends that I've ever had. I just didn't happen to know it yet. It didn't take long to figure it out, though. Right away, they were fully hospitable people, and totally raging pals. They aren't forced, or fake... they're the real deal. Genuine beyond all imagination. The bestest. Maybe, even better than that...

Jeremy is the hands-on skate rat of the dynamic duo. He's been skating forever, and it shows. The dude is a walking textbook of all things "skateboarding". Sometimes, we'll stay up all night long, just shooting the breeze, talking about all things skateboarding... old contests, all the old pros, spots that have come and gone over he decades... all while smoking out a full carton of Camels in the process. Jer's a lifer, that is fer damned sure. He truly loves what he does, and he's gonna be doing it forever. It shows.




Photobucket

The shop "storefront". You can definitely see that this isn't your "ordinary retail storefront", by any stretch of the imagination. On the other hand: It's historic, it's unique, and it feels like home. That makes it better than most "ordinary retail storefronts", in my book...



The shop itself is located in what looks like an old warehouse facility. I think Liz mentioned that it used to be a brewhouse or something, but I totally forgot the details. The bottom line is, it's the most welcoming, and low-key "skateshop" that I've ever been to. It's mellow, inviting, and it feels like "home" every time I swing by. Just like a good, skater-run shop should.




Photobucket

I like a sense of humor. Note the "Give or take 10 minutes" bit... classic!



I go out to TOC about three or four times a year. Usually, when they have one of their many summertime boards, bands, and bar-b-que benders. Those are a real hoot. They had one just last week, and it was a gas. Seven bands (I think?), a "contest"... I used the quotes there, because it's not all super-serious, dull, stale, and boring like most contests usually are. It's fun. I judged one once, and I've gotta say, it was probably the weirdest judging gig I've ever had. We made up "scores" that were just... "absolutely nonsensical" is probably the only way to descrbe it. Like, the "scores" just did not make any sense! Because, it doesn't really matter what the "score" says. At TOC, everyone's a winner. There's no judging, no egos, no losers, and no worries.



Photobucket

Here's a panoramic of the inside of the shop. Oddly shaped, with lots of wood paneling, it totally comes to life with the help of Liz's "merchandising" genius. I think it can probably be summed up in to words: "Stuff, everywhere!" It may look like chaos... and, it may even feel like chaos... but, once you see it live, and in person... it actually starts to make a lot of sense.



This contest that I just got back from, was the same sort of gig. Jeremy was telling me that there was a "best trick", and a "worst trick" contest. Best trick, I've seen. But, worst trick?! Leave it to Liz to think up such a thing. It's all in fun, so it's all good. I didn't even bother offering to "judge". I just cheered everyone on, and shot photos all day long. And, ate hot dogs. Best day that I've had in a long time, that was. Just like every day in Terre Haute with the crew. While I was there, I ran into dudes from Greencastle, Indianapolis, Evansville... these are places that are two hours away by car! Imagine that shit! People driving all over the place in a breakneck pace, to get to Terre Haute...



Photobucket

Liz and Jer used to have an employee named "Crazy Gary", that was truly crazy... but, in a really good-natured and positive sort of way. Always happy, always gung-ho, always over-the-top enthusiasm. Gary recently relocated westward; a "replacement" was sought out in the form of Nate. As Nate says, though, "Nobody could ever 'replace' Crazy Gary...!" He's right, too. But: Nate's a good chap, and a real friendly bloke in his own right. He might have some mighty big shoes to fill, but he's definitely off to a good start.



By the way: The skate scene in Terre Haute used to be... nothing. It was basically one of those lackluster places that we drove through, to get to somewhere "cool". Like, St. Louis for example. Terre Haute was basically a piss-stop, a place to gas up at. Nobody could have ever guessed that Terre Haute would actually become a "destination" for something. Let alone, for skateboarding.

Nowadays, Terre Haute has a brand-new, concrete skatepark that rivals the best in the midwest, an up-and-coming music scene... I witnessed that one firsthand, just last week... and, obviously, a great shop. With great people running things. And great kids, to boot. I can't forget the kids! Like Liz and Jer, the locals are a pretty laid-back, fun-loving, and friendly lot. No vibes, no bullshit. Just good times, and good skating. The way that it's supposed to be, really.



Photobucket

Here's another panoramic of the still-fairly-new Terre Haute skatepark. It's probably less than 200 yards from the back entrance of the skateshop, is all-concrete, was extremely well-designed and well-built, and is a shit-ton of fun. An amazing accomplishment, given Terre Haute's limited size (And, more than likely: Budget).



It exists, right there. Go check it out for yourself. Or don't, and suffer the loss bro. Like I said: Best shop in the midwest. Smarten up, and plan a road trip today.

Tell 'em I sent ya.



Photobucket