Saturday, March 13, 2010

Just An Idea: The Collective



... but maybe, one who's time has come...?


Pay special attention to the red bold parts, because if you miss 'em, you just might end up shooting the damned messenger:


The Collective "Skateshop Union" Concept


The Basic Plan:

Forming a non-profit, non-dues "skateshop union", by us and for us, to represent core skateshops nationwide.

How Do We Define A "Core" Skateshop...?

I define it as: A locally-owned and operated, brick-and-mortar skateboard shop. Either a stand-alone shop, or a small chain. These shops might sell skateboards exclusively... or, skateboards as a majority, or a significant minority, of their overall business.

This would clearly rule out Zumiez (because, they're not locally owned), and internet-only "storefronts" (because they're not, a brick-and mortar entity). To qualify, the shop would have to exist as a brick-and-mortar entity, and be locally owned.

Ultimately, I would like to see at least one shop from each city nationwide on board. I'm worried that with having multiple shops from each city, we might have infighting among those shops (because, they're directly competing with each other).

Goals:

I've come up with some near-term, midrange, and long-term goals for such a collective. These are just ideas, not necessarily a solid platform. Feel free to send any additional ideas that I might have missed:

- Near term:

I'd like to get every single core-skateshop owners' e-mail address, and share those addresses with all of the other shops that have expressed an interest in this union.

This would allow shops to open a direct dialogue between each other. Many shops have asked me, about what other shops are doing, what's selling, what's not, who's easy to work with, who sucks, who's having a sale, etc. If the shops would have the means (the e-mail addresses) to communicate directly with each other, then they could do so, freely and securely, if they so desire.

I would add that, every shop that I've contacted thus far, and that I know already, and all are very cool people. Every single one of them. I suspect that everyone will get along very well.

- Mid Term:

I would identify these as pretty good goals:

1. Open a dialogue with the manufacturers, as a united front, ie, as a collective of many shops, as opposed to individual shops, one at a time. Presenting a united front, usually gets positive results that work in our better interests.

2. Ask for better, and more consistent customer service from the manufacturers' sales reps.

3. A few shops have expressed an interest in lower minimums for their shops. This one sounds reasonable enough. Especially from the shoe companies.

4. Lower pricing. Again: Ordering as a group, might secure some better deals/terms from the manus.

5. Many shops have pointedly asked for MSRP/MAP pricing guidelines. To prop up retail prices, and make a more level playing field amongst shops, and especially with Zumiez and the 'Net. There's too many "discounters" out there, and that's hurting all of our profitability.

6. Core-shop-specific lines, and products. Give us products that can't be found widely online, or at Zumiez.

- Long Term:

A much more simple, streamlined, profitable, and sustainable business model [partnership] that is beneficial to both the manufacturers, and the core retailers.

Needs:

- I would appreciate some help, in contacting skate shops initially.

- We should probably appoint a spokesperson at some point, to deal with the manufacturers. Probably should not be me, as IASC certainly hates my guts already.

I'm more than happy to serve merely as an advisory/organizing figure. I will bend over backwards to help anyone in this organization, as well as the organization itself. Mark my words on that.


Dues:

I do not see any sort of immediate need for a "dues" system, as I'm more than happy to volunteer my time to a cause like this. What I WOULD ask for from shops, is for a bit of their time and energy. To organize themselves, to communicate with each other, and to spread the word to more skate shops nationwide. I can't do this alone, as I don't have infinite time, money, or energy resources. If we all pitch in to organize ourselves, and keep each other "in the loop", we'll be well on our way to having a by us/for us organization that actually meets OUR needs.

Thank you, all. If you have any further ideas, comments, suggestions, or questions... always feel free to contact me via e-mail, or on my cellphone. Thanks you again.

Stand united, and stand strong.


Maybe someday, some uber-enthusiastic bloke that cares enough about "the core retailer" to sacrifice some time and energy, will actually take this up and make it happen.

Or, better yet: Maybe some skate shops out there will take the initiative, and make it happen on their own.

Strength in numbers, people. Strength in numbers...

Photobucket