Monday, November 14, 2011

Aperture: Husain Alfraid

Photobucket



Even though he's just now getting an Aperture column, Husain Alfraid actually made his official debut on The Solitary Life in December of 2010. Miles Keller had sent in a few photos that he credited to some kid named "Sline". Right away, I could see that whoever this "Sline" guy was, he definitely had some unmistakable talent. After grilling Miles over Facebook for a few days, he told me that "Sline" was actually his friend, Husain Alfraid.




Photobucket

Husain's first photo at The Solitary Life was this classic shot of Miles Keller doing a frontside ollie at Voorhees Park in Terre Haute, Indiana.



"I do not have any experience whatsoever in skateboarding. I always wanted do skateboarding pictures, even before I knew about photography. I always looked at extreme sport photos... skateboarding, snowboarding, BMX... browsing for hours...."



Husain is a native of Saudi Arabia. He's in Indiana on a scholarship from his home country, studying Occupation, Health, and Safety Management. Talking to him, he seems to be much more passionate about his photography than his "official" studies. He says that photography "is not an approved field to be in (According to the Ministry of Higher Education in my country, where I got my scholarship from)..." That means that Husain has almost no formal training in photography whatsoever. Let alone, skateboard photography. What you're seeing here is strictly the result of raw talent, self-taught skills, and a passion for dedicating himself to developing his craft.




Photobucket

Miles Keller, backside Smith grind. Terre Haute, Indiana.




"When I came to Terre Haute in 2006, I thought it was time for me to travel around and look for skate parks. Then the next year I accidentally drove by 1st Street in Terre Haute, and I could see in the corner of my eye... a person getting about 4 feet in the air. I couldn't help but to stop..."



The strange thing that I learned about Husain during our e-mail back-and-forths, is that he has virtually no skateboarding experience. He's only skated a few times... and those few times didn't go particularly well, he's quick to point out. Most skateboard photographers are highly experienced skaters that at the very least, know the mechanics... and, the names... of the tricks they're shooting. Not Husain. His sense of timing had to be developed strictly from watching his subjects... although "studying" just might be a better word for it.




Photobucket

Nyle Lovett, Smith grind. Terre Haute, Indiana.




"I started going there, and many of the skaters were mean mugging me. (Later, I found out they thought I was taking pictures for some other skateboarding team somewhere). I went there regularly, and observing who was doing good, and who was great. I found great skills in these locals, and started doing what I like to do... taking pictures up close..."




Photobucket

Nick Whitaker... neither Husain or I know what in the hell he's doing here, but it looks bitchin'. Terre Haute, Indiana.



When I first met Husain in the flesh... it was just a few weeks ago... the first thing that struck me was his innate kindness and stark humility. I can only suspect that's an ingrained part of his native culture. He was all smiles, a little bit shy, and highly complimentary of my work... although my work fully sucks when it's forced to be compared to his stuff. He's basically a really nice kid. Which is kinda rare for an artist of his caliber.




Photobucket

Unknown, invert. Louisville, Kentucky.



"We started hanging out more often, and some would come up to me and ask me if I can take a picture of a trick for them. And that's how I basically know some of tricks' names. I did not, and still do not, have any experience about it... but when I watch, I could tell when this guy is going to do a 50-50, or rock to fakie, or an airwalk... just by watching the body language..."





Photobucket

Justin, mute out of the bowl. Terre Haute, Indiana.



With skills like these, Husain has the potential to do, and be, anything that he wants to in the world of skateboard photography. His signature style... super-saturated colors, extreme contrasts... an empathy for capturing the accomplishments of everyday, undiscovered talent... and angles borrowed from greats like Jim Goodrich and Warren Bolster... sets him apart from the rest of the "status quo" of contemporary skateboard photography, and almost insures that his skills will soon be in high demand from the "mainstream" skateboard media. All that's left for Husain, is to be discovered by somebody with the power, and the connections, to make it happen.



Photobucket

Chuckie, Indy out of the bowl. Terre Haute, Indiana.



Photobucket

Crazy Gary, frontside over the hip. Terre Haute, Indiana.



"Taking good skateboarding pictures has developed from just taking good pictures at first, knowing the basics, and knowing what I need from my photograph. What angle, composition, if it's worth looking at. Freezing a good action was what I needed, at the right time. If it was not the for good talents we had in town, I wouldn't have gotten the motivation I needed to take any skateboarding pictures. These talents need to be shown to others..."



Photobucket

Jeff Hall, backside disaster. Terre Haute, Indiana.




Photobucket