Monday, October 18, 2010

Feedback: October 18th, 2010

Photobucket


Here at The Solitary Life, we fully appreciate your feedback. Always. Even if you're asking really hard questions, and putting me on the spot and stuff. Hey, buddy: Progress just doesn't happen without somebody asking the hard questions, and demanding good answers. I don't mind fielding a couple toughies here and there. I actually think it's kinda rad when people ask me really good questions.

I might not hit 'em out of the park, but I'll definitely give 'em a good hard swing. Here you go, guys. Keep 'em coming:




"OK... so I've been thinking, and I have a question. Everyone hates Zumiez, right? If you're a little core shop, then sure you hate them. They are the big dogs with all the buying power...

But: What about the shops that actually own 2, 3, or even 4 shops? They have the buying power as well. I'm sure they even talk with the distributors and make sure they are getting better deals then other smaller shops in the area.

The funny thing is the shops that have 2, 3, or even 4 shops has more anti-Zumiez tees and stickers then the smaller shops and when you think about it, they are just trying to be like Zumiez.

So the question is, what's the difference between Zumiez and shops that have 2, 3, or even 4 shops that are so anti-Zumiez...?! [Because] I can tell you it's not customer service...!"



Interesting question. The way that I personally see it? It's the difference between local ownership, versus corporate ownership.

Zumiez is "owned" by a bunch of anonymous skareholders that [probably] don't skate. Most locally-owned skateshop chains are still [usually] owned by actual skaters.

Also: Locally-owned skate shops still contribute to the local economy (always), and local skate scenes (when they're doing shit right). Zumiez does the opposite: They actually drain resources away from the local economy (those resources end up in the shareholders' pockets), and they "give" very little in return.

As for customer service... yeah. I'd have to totally agree with ya on that one. A lot of skate shops definitely have a very real problem with giving even "adequate" customer service. Let alone, "good" service. Which is why a good many skaters are shopping online these days, or looking for alternatives to their "local" shops (see below).




"Okay, I have a question. In your blog, you say repeatedly how important it is to support your local skate shop. Yet, you also give advertising to SoCal Skateshop [which is not in Indianapolis], and praise their great customer service. Apparently, you also shop there quite a bit.

Isn't that a little bit hypocritical...? You act like they're much better than your local shop(s), and point it out regularly. Shouldn't you be supporting your local skate shop instead...?"



On the surface, I'd have to say "Yeah, it does seem that way, doesn't it...?!".


Truth is, SoCal is actually a brick-and-mortar, "core" skate shop that is [physically] located in Mission Viejo, California. It's owned by a great guy named Mike Hirsch. And yes: I buy a lot of stuff there, and give them free advertising. I feel like they've earned it. They're good people, they're skaters, and they take care of their customers very, very well. SoCal is widely known for their awesome customer service. Check any forum or messageboard, and you'll see that plain as day.

They also have one of the best selections around anywhere... which is also important to note, because I do ride some pretty weird shit from time to time. Everyone that knows me, knows that.


The problem with supporting skate shops, is that they do have to meet you halfway somewhere along the line. I am, after all, the customer. As a customer, I do expect a good selection, and great customer service.

Of the two local skate shops here in Indianapolis, I only support one. And that is Str8 Up Skate Shop. They do offer very, very good service... among the best around, actually... and as a bonus, they recently built an indoor mini ramp in their new shop. So I'll definitely be supporting the hell out of them by camping out there all winter, and paying to skate all the time. Note the "paying" bit: I don't like asking my local shop for endless freebies, like a lot of kids do these days. Skating at Str8 Up only costs five bucks for the day. It's $5 that I'm more than happy to give them, whenever I can.

Str8 Up also expanded the shop, and their selection has improved as well.

Still: For the super-crazy and hard-to-find stuff, Mike Hirsch at SoCal remains my go-to guy. Just because Str8 Up can't always get their hands on that super hard-to-find stuff. Either way, though, I'm still supporting a truly independent, brick-and-mortar, skater-owned skate shop. I'm definitely not shopping at Zumiez, or some totally random online dude. And, I absolutely know who and what I'm supporting, either way.

So no, I don't have a problem with any of it. I think everyone that knows me, understands where I'm coming from.


As for the "other" core shop in the area... they're pretty well-known for giving pretty crappy customer service. I've definitely gotten some bad vibes from that place. I've tried to support them and shop there, but... it just didn't work out, I guess. Sorry man, but what can I say? "I'm the customer"...?



Photobucket