Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ending The Week On A Positive Note...

Photobucket


It's funny how the world works sometimes. This week, I spent most of my week giving IASC shit (as usual). Because in my eyes, they're not representing skateboarding in a way that I, as an everyday skater, think they should be representing it (again, as usual). Then, as a stark contrast to my struggles with IASC, I got a great phone call last night from somebody that totally represents the "everyday skater" extremely well. Talk about ending your week on a good note...

To their immense credit (and, my immense surprise), IASC actually got back to me this week, and "started a dialogue" with me about a few of these things. Which was kinda weird, actually. But, on the other hand: It's a long-overdue credit to IASC. At the very least, it shows that they're listening. I hope they keep that one up, actually. It would serve them well.

I've always been a big believer in the following principle: In order to make a change happen, you ultimately need to be the change you seek. Everything begins with you. Or in my world, with "me". The change that I had to make? Stop kicking IASC in the nuts. This time around, I switched up my tactics and kicked them a little less violently around the ankles instead. I think they appreciated that one, because my return response was a bit "nicer" than usual. So, all kids out there, remember this! "Less Harsh" kinda works sometimes! Try it yourselves and tell me how it goes, okay...?

In other happenings: Last night, I got a surprise message (via Facebook chat) from David Wayne Scherer, the owner of Miramar ("Dave", to you and me). It'd been a while since we last spoke... months, at least... so, I was stoked to hear from him. After a half-hour of typing or so, I asked him if it'd be easier just to give him a ring on the phone? "Yeah, I was just thinking that myself! I need a smoke!" Ahhh, music to my ears...!



Photobucket

"The changing face of the industry": Dave from Miramar. When you put skateboarding in the hands of everyday skaters (like Dave), then you're putting it in good hands. Don't forget it!



Dave's a hell of a great guy. As are all of our advertisers. Again: If they weren't great people, they wouldn't be involved with The Solitary Life in the first place. So, as I got Dave on the horn, we peppered each other with various catching-up and deep-thought questions. I'm an inquisitive mind. Naturally, I like to know what other inquisitive minds are thinking.

One of the things that I was curious about, was what Dave thought of some of the other longboard companies out there in the marketplace. I explained that "ad space" was running short (I don't ever wanna be like TransWorld... you know, "ads and nothing else"), and I wanted to know who he thought would be good guys to bring into the Solitary Life community before space ran out. He said some really good things about Bustin, and Never Summer. So, I decided to put them on my "contact" list right away. I thought they were good choices. So, I'm totally taking Dave's advice on that one.

Of course, we also "shot the breeze" for a while, too. We discussed art, photography, his recent move to NorCal, our cats, and other odds and ends. We probably killed two hours and a couple packs of smokes on the phone. It was awesome. I'm keeping Dave's number on speed-dial from now on...!

So, why am I babbling on about all of this hogwash and bullshit? Because, it typifies a few belief systems that we have around here, that I wish IASC would embrace. Eventually.

First of all, we have the issue of "transparency". The Solitary Life believes that, if we're truly gonna act in the "better interests of skateboarding"... we need to be straight-up about what we're doing, at all times. It does get tedious. But: We do owe it to the readers. So: We do it.

Secondly: We go out of our way to build very "real" relationships with everybody around us. It's not always easy. Disagreements and differences of vision do occur. But at the end of the day, I don't treat guys like Dave merely as "business relationships". This is a very real "community" that we're building here, not just a bunch of corporate interests trying to milk the cash cow a little harder. This is a family. That is very much committed to the interests of skateboarding first, and our own interests second.

Thirdly: We're not afraid to think "outside the box", and try radically new and different things. The idea of an "online periodical" is still rather novel. The idea of The Collective (our version of IASC) is evolutionary. The idea of "free advertising" is revolutionary. The blatant honesty and transparency- I hope- are refreshing. That's one thing that we keep hearing around here: How refreshingly honest we are. Which is really cool, because it sure beats being told how ugly, long-winded, fat, annoying, and assholey I am. Which are all true, by the way. But, nobody seems to focus on those things! Thank Gawd...!

The harsh reality is that, there are always risks and uncertainties involved with doing new things in unusual and extraordinary ways. However, all of us at The Solitary Life recognize this, too: The risks of doing nothing new, unusual, and extraordinary, are far greater.

IASC did a great job this week in "engaging in a dialogue", and I'm more than happy to give them a pat on the back for it. But, there's a greater reality to be considered here. And, the reality is that we- as a small community of readers, manufacturers, and activists- have shown that we can do anything that IASC can do. And sometimes, we can even do it better. That means that IASC has some quick catching-up to do.

For example: I couldn't help but notice that between IASC and BRA, they managed to get only about 37 core shops on board for their "Local Skateshop Day" initiative. The Collective brought in at least 37 shops in our first month of operation, and that was almost two years ago now. Today, we have about 400 shops in our database, and we'll be reaching out to even more in the coming months. We have worked hand in hand with our member shops on stuff like the "Be The Scene" initiative, to make these initiatives as successful as possible. And just like the advertisers, we get the shops on the phone as often as possible, and pick their brains. Just to find ways to serve them better.

Soon, we'll be unveiling a new column called "What The Shops Are Thinking", to give our advertisers (and if they choose to read it, IASC and BRA) some straight-ahead, real-deal insights about... well, what the shops are thinking. We take things pretty literally around here. We blow.

The question becomes then: Why have we done such a good job bringing in shops, and getting their support with these things? I think part of the answer is that we clearly have the shops' interests at heart. One mega-contributing factor is that we obviously hate Zumiez at least as much as the shops themselves do. But, the far greater factor is that we just don't have any "self interests" to look after. The Solitary Life, after all, is not-for-profit, independent media. It's our job to look after everybody else's interests, and find new and creative ways to insure that everybody wins. But, as far as "our interests" go? We don't have any. At least, nothing that's above and beyond everybody else winning.

As far as IASC is concerned, there is a "common perception" that they tend to look after their own interests first, and everybody else's later. Now, is this absolutely "true"? I don't know. And, I don't think anybody else really knows, either. Which actually contributes to the problem. The uncertainty of where IASC stands, and what they stand for, only adds to the fire. In any rate, that is the "common perception". And for most skaters... whatever the "common perception" is, is the truth.

My biggest advice for IASC this week, was for them to "step out" of their shell a little bit. Do as I do. Talk a bit about what they're doing, and why they're doing it. Do an interview once in a while (We totally invited them to do one with us, and that invitation will stand indefinitely). Answer some hard questions, and some harsh criticisms (Lord knows, we do all too often). Get passionate about something, and take a hard stand once in a while. Embrace the fact that things aren't always black, or white... but that, at the end of the day, it's the effort of sorting through the grays that really speaks to your character, and your values.

But, most importantly: Show the human side of IASC. Not just, the slick and perfectly polished press releases. Skaters don't give a shit about those sorts of things, and never have. Instead: Try coming out of your offices, and talking to us as a community of skaters. On "our turf", and on "our level". We're more than happy to send the invitation. Question is: Are you gonna answer it...?

I can guarantee you this: It'll be a gigantic step in the right direction, if you guys (and gals) do.

The skating world is waiting. Don't let us down.


Photobucket