Saturday, December 3, 2011

Stoked On: Ambition Snowskates

Photobucket


Last week, when I was perusing Boardistan, and catching up on my weekly news, I ran across this little clip from a snowskate company (that I'd never heard of) called Ambition (
http://www.ambitionsnowskates.com/). And I've gotta tell ya: I had no idea that "snowskating" has come this far, this fast:










While I was poking around, and getting myself caught up to speed, I realized that they've actually got pro snowskates now (which only makes perfect sense, because you can damn near get a "pro" anything these days...)... and the actual product has made some great strides forward as well, with resin-laminated maple wood cores now that'll surely cut down a bit on the annoying flex that the early snowskates were burdened with.



Photobucket

Here's a cross-section cutaway of an Ambition Snowskate that I found at Photobucket, that clearly illustrates the wood core, and the resin base. Unlike most "toy" snowskates, this thing actually looks like it could work, and work good.




Photobucket

After watching the video a few dozen times, I actually started thinking about throwing down the $159 (or so) that an Ambition costs. Yeah, it's an impressive chunk of change for a plastic-wrapped lump of plywood. On the other hand: Snowboards are also "plastic-wrapped lumps of plywood", and they cost a whole hell of a lot more. And snowboards come nowhere near the "skate-ability" that these puppies clearly have.


Stay tuned, broski. This might just be a whole lotta fun.



Photobucket