Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Board Meeting 2012 Update:

Photobucket


Photobucket


Happy Holidays to everybody that reads Everything Skateboarding. While I'm spending my time healing my back from a good 'ol snowboard/handrail slam, I figured it was high time for a Board Meeting 2012 update. Here goes:



"It's not 'my show'..."

First off: The classification that this whole shindig is somehow "my show", isn't entirely true. I'm merely facilitating the show, and helping with a little bit of the organization, and a few of the logistics. The show, though, is really "everybody's show". The people that attend will have the freedom, and the latitude, to do whatever they want... and in turn, make it truly "their show".

Which is exactly the way it should be.




Credentials and Invites:

"Everybody's Invited...!"

This is a concept that some folks seem to be having a really, really hard time with. I think a lot of it comes from people that have worked in the past with either the now-defunct ASR, or Agenda (the two prominent west-coast shows). Both ASR and Agenda are famous for making people jump through all sorts of hoops, fill out piles of paperwork, and cough up some serious "credentials"... as well as, a substantial pile of money... to get into their shows. And strangely enough, the most important person in the whole "industry" equation... that is, the average kid that actively supports our industry, by actually buying skateboards... is left uninvited at the door, or tossed out by "security" if and when they sneak into the show. And don't even get me started on "press passes"... which are seriously out of reach from any kind of "independent media", and require their own contrived and arbitrary set of cool-club credentials.

Look, man. This is the wrong way to run a "trade show", "industry summit", or whatever you wanna call it. I am not the self-appointed enforcer of some "cool club" litmus test, and I certainly don't want to make anybody feel less-than-welcome to the fun-fest. If you:

- Make skateboards,
- Sell skateboards,
- Buy skateboards,
- Ride skateboards,
- Write about skateboards (or skateboarding),
- Film skateboarding,
- Photograph skateboarding,
- Collect skateboards, or even
- Enjoy skateboards,

...then, consider yourself invited.

This clearly includes: All manufacturers, distributors, retailers, bloggers, filmers, photographers, 'zinesters, editors, publishers... and, most importantly, skaters.



Photobucket



As for the invites themselves: I'm all apologies here, everybody... but I just haven't had the time to reach out to everybody personally, and invite everybody all by myself. I promise, I'm not snubbing anybody...!

But if you're ever in doubt... just assume that you're invited (because you are), and feel absolutely free to show up.



IASC and BRA:

I've been asked a few times now, "Are IASC and BRA invited...?" The answers is,
"Of course they are! Why wouldn't they be invited...?".

Once again: This is not my show. And, the show is open to everybody. This is a totally "inclusional" event. And I would be a damned hypocrite if I told anybody that they couldn't come, for any reason. But that's not my style, anyway. So, you'll never, ever hear that from me.

The same answer obviously applies to all IASC and BRA member companies and retailers.



"But I might not wanna go, if my jerkhead nemesis-competitor is going..."

I've heard this one, too. Too much. Which is unfortunate. Naturally, I don't think it's really a good idea for anybody's business. And I don't think it's really all that good for skateboarding, either.

Personally speaking: I fully believe that there are times when we all need to put our respective self-interests on hold, for the sake of promoting the interests of the "greater good of skateboarding". Hell, I've told a ton of people that I'll happily buy the entire IASC and BRA contingent a beer (or two, or three, or several, or whatever it takes...) when they get to Florence. That is, if they choose to come. And I sincerely hope that they do.

So: Why would I freely and willingly offer, at my own discretion, to happily and enthusiastically buy "my enemies" beers all f'n weekend long...?! Because the spirit, and the intention, of the damned show is "inclusion", folks. And if you're gonna set a standard, then you'd better be willing to stand tall, and stand by that shit.

Obviously: The beer-buy offer is open to all my friends, as well as my "enemies". As for me, I don't drink. But I'll happily accept cold Cokes all day long. If anybody cares, that is.

Bottom line? If you don't want to be here, because someone you don't like might also be here...? Then, you are truly missing out. I'm sorry. But it's the blunt and honest truth.




Photobucket



Shop Outreach:

We started mailing out direct mailers around November 15th to all midwest retailers... but we paused after Thanksgiving, and through The Holidays, so that the retailers could focus on their customers, undisturbed, throughout the busy holiday shopping season.

We'll resume the direct mailings, and start the follow-up invite calls, around January 15th.

Retailers that RSVP before April1st, 2012, get into the show for free. Please let us know which shop you're representing, and how many people there will be in your party.



Tables & Chairs:

Several vendors have asked if we could provide rental tables and chairs, for a nominal add-on fee. You asked, and we listened: We're looking into this, and we should have an answer after the first of the year. If you're an exhibitor that requires table(s) or chair(s), let us know asap, and we'll put you on the list.



First Come, First Pick, First Setup:

Again, because of old ASR and Agenda policies... many exhibitors have expressed worries about being cast off into some "un-cool, dark corner" somewhere if they don't meet our "cool credentials". Well, I'm a much bigger dork than you are, so I'm definitely not the guy to judge anybody's "cool-ness credentials". But for this show, space will be appropriated on a "first come, first pick, first setup" basis. To keep the entire process as fair, democratic, and balanced as possible for everybody.



Happy Holidays, everybody. See you next year...!


Questions? Concerns? Input? Advice? Hit it at budstratford@aol.com.


Photobucket