Friday, December 9, 2011

Skateshop Spotlight: Hardcore Sportz

Photobucket


Here at Everything Skateboarding, we believe that credit should be given where credit is due. While skateboard shops all over the midwest are either closing their doors, or failing at their jobs... there are a few skateshops here and there that are not only holding it down, but thriving. These shops all tend to have the following five traits in common:

- They have the right product, in stock, at the right price.
- They know that product.
- They're cool to everybody that walks in their door (after all, anybody could be a customer...),
- They make positive investments in their local skate scenes, and
- They're diverse in their philosophies, and the types of skating that they support. Translated: They have a much bigger "worldview" of skateboarding than the "typical" skateboard shop.

As part of our ongoing "Spotlight On The Skateshop" series, we decided that it might be cool to spotlight not only what shops are doing wrong, but also some of the shops that are getting it right. The very first "Spotlight Skateshop" is right in my backyard... but as I travel the midwest next year, I hope that I find more:



Photobucket


I first discovered Hardcore Sportz when I went to New Castle in 2008, to document a skatepark for the guys at Concrete Disciples. If I'm remembering it correctly, I actually ran plum into the shop as I was heading out of town. I barely believed that there was a skatepark in New Castle... let alone, a skate shop. But even then, Hardcore was a cool little shop. Extremely tidy, well-styled, and with two of the coolest guys in the world- Kyle, and Karl Poynter- running it. It was abundantly clear that if these guys had anything at all, it was good taste, and a great attitude. I damn near liked them, right at first sight.


Photobucket

Karl Poynter


A couple weeks ago, I called the shop to chase down another lead on a New Castle skatepark rumor. When Karl answered the phone, he told me that they'd actually moved to Noblesville a few months back. That next weekend, I was heading up their way to check out the new digs.

When I walked into the shop, it was immediately clear that besides the physical location, very little else had actually changed. The guys were still friendly, enthusiastic, kind, and respectful. The shop looked much as it had in New Castle: Clean, tidy, well-styled, and well-organized. It was roomy, comfortable (which is a real achievement, since it occupies such a small space), and inviting. And best of all... like all truly great skateshops... it felt sorta like "home". And as I've mentioned a few times now, "vibe" is awfully hard to create, destroy, hide, bullshit, or fake. But the overall vibe of this shop is totally welcoming, all-inclusive, and chill.


Photobucket


As far as the skate inventory goes, I would call their selection "small, but diverse and well-selected". They don't carry zillions of everything... they just don't have the room... but what they do have represents everybody well.


Photobucket


The biggest gripe that I'll probably get over this one, is that Hardcore Sportz also doubles as a bike shop. Karl is a sponsored biker, and Kyle is an avid paintballer... so bikes and paintball supplies are really at the forefront of this shops' efforts. I can hear a small army of kids already bitching their asses off that "they're not 'core' enough", or "that's not really a 'core' skateshop...!" Well, given my recent experiences at more "core" skateshops... you can take that "core" deal, and jam it straight up your ass. At the very best, it's a completely meaningless marketing gimmick that doesn't really say anything about what my experience inside the store will be. That's why we ask our readers to support "independent retailers", instead. Because that "core" thing is such a joke.

The bottom line is that the guys at Hardcore know what they're doing, support skateboarding, are fully independent and locally-owned, have a great-looking shop, and treat their customers well.

That's a lot more than I can say about most "core" skateshops today.



Photobucket

30 S. 9th St.
Noblesville, Indiana 46060

765.624.9369

info@hardcoresportz.com


www.hardcoresportz.com/

www.facebook.com/hardcoresportz
http://twitter.com/#!/@hardcoresportz



Photobucket