Saturday, July 10, 2010

Aperture: Session at Richmond Skatepark

Photobucket

Last weekend, the Old Indy Skaters crew had their weekly session over at Richmond's concrete funpark. Considering that it was slated to be a pretty hot day, I figured I'd bring my little Canon Elph along, and shoot a few. Just for shits and giggles, y'know.

Good thing that I did, too! Because, judging by all the stuff I got, I'd probably be kicking myself in the ass right now if I hadn't...!



Photobucket

Photobucket

The first thing that I got, was Jordan Mourning smithing the shit out of this handrail. Or, maybe more accurately: Getting ready to smith the shit out of it. He was standing up on the short-ass takeoff, and scoping out the equally short-ass landing, when I decided that this shit was definitely gonna be camera-worthy. It's a good thing that I acted fast, too, because he landed it on his second (and, third!) try. Clean, both times. Nuts.



Photobucket

Photobucket

I pretty much spent the rest of the afternoon, aiming the Elph at Tim Devlin. It was super-easy "work": I just laid down in the bottom of the transition with a cool can of sunscreen in my pocket, and waited for Tim to come flying by. Easy as that...! Reeling in a snappy frontside.



Photobucket

What makes Tim so great to "work" with is that, he has this totally lazy, unpredictable, and spontaneous style. He clearly doesn't give a rat's ass about getting "coverage", or anything else for that matter. He just basically screws off, and has fun. He just might be one of the most carefree and relaxed skaters that I've ever met. Sweeper.



Photobucket

That doesn't mean that Tim can't turn on the juice, on a moment's notice. And: When you least expect it. This alley-ooped ollie to backside nosegrind isn't for the feint of heart, by any means. The guy's got some gnarly skills, that is for damned sure. But, he makes this sort of stuff look pretty casual. Almost, "easy going".



Photobucket

Guys like Tim are fun to shoot, because he lands anything and everything, and it's always a real treat to see what he's gonna pull out of the bag next. All I really had to do was hang out, chill for a few, remember to pre-focus... and then, hit the button at the right moment. It got so easy, that I was actually able to relax a bit myself, and casually sip on a cold Coke between tricks. Thanks, Tim. Let's do it again sometime.



Photobucket