Friday, November 27, 2009

The Traveling Skateboarders' Bible

Photobucket

A lot of folks have no idea how much time and effort it takes me to compile, sort, and catalog the raw data on the something-like-300 skateshops, and approximately 500 skateparks that we have here in my neighborhood ("My neighborhood" being the states of Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee). Well, here's a quick tour...

This is where it all begins: The data sheets. Headed by the city and state that whatever shop or park is located in. The pertinent facts (Hours of operation, addresses, phone numbers, etc) on the front, with a simple map to and from on the back, with key roads, landmarks, etc. You'd think that I'd be smart enough to keep this on my laptop or something. But, I'm not. You'd also be amazed at how much work goes into each data sheet... it can be as little as a few minutes, or as much as a half an hour or more, depending on how much information I can find readily available on the internet, versus how much calling around I have to do to get whatever it is that I need. There's a skatepark in St. Meinrad that I've probably spent a few weeks on, and I still can't quite track down. Maddening...!

Photobucket

Every time I plan a trip, I check my map, see which towns I'll be going through... and, retrieve the data sheets for every town along the way. This helps me maximize my time (which I'm usually woefully short on), and minimize my expenses (money being another commodity that's in perpetually short supply around here)...



Photobucket

The binder that I keep my data sheets in is an industrial-quality, 3" snap-ring binder. I started compiling my information in late 2007. It's now late 2009, and this is how much it's grown. Whew...!




Photobucket

This is the business end of the 3-ring-menace. It's almost at the point of overflowing... yet, new shops and parks are popping up (or, going away) all the time. Yes: I keep an archival record of all of the long-gone shops and parks, too. I suppose that you could infer that my binder is a pretty good indicator of skateboarding's relative health in the midwest: The thicker it is, the better skateboarding's doing.