Sunday, January 1, 2012

Busy Making New Artwork...

Photobucket

Every so often, I like to take a few days off to create some new, hand-drawn artwork for Everything Skateboarding. Since it's a long weekend for me... as well as a brand-new year... I figured it was time to put pen to paper, and have a little bit of fun with our "art direction"...



Big

A lot of the artwork that I do, is loosely autobiographical. In this case, I found a self-poitrait that I'd sketched back in 1995... probably when I was in my senior year of college. In it, I'm doing a "tindy" air on my old Morrow Revert 154 (that even featured Switch Step-Ins!)... a real find, straight out of the 'ol archives. Just goes to show the cool shit that you can find, when you actually bother to unpack your boxes, and stay in one place for a little while.


By the way: I still own this board, and the corresponding Vans Axioms that go with it. I still take it out once in a while, too... and when I do, I feel like I'm 24 all over again.




Big

I've been snowboarding since 1987, when my buddies first took me out on their old Sims Blades, Avalanches, and Barfoots. At first, I couldn't afford to do it regularly... that shit was pretty expensive back in the day (it still is, actually)... but as I grew older, I developed a real appreciation for snowboarding's "early days". I wanted to celebrate that this year, by drawing up a bunch of icons featuring notable snowboards from the past... this 1990 Burton Craig Kelly "Air" being one of my personal favorites of the series.




Photobucket

While I was at it, I wanted to bang out a quick "slalom" logo to go with Fatboy's slalom articles. If I'm gonna support something, I'm gonna do it all the way down to the icons that we use in the article footers. Note the difference betwen the "current day" self-poitrait, and the 1995 version above. This, kids, is where bad genes, pizza, Cokes, and cigarettes will ultimately take you: Fat, old, and balding. On the other hand: As long as you're still having fun, who really cares about the "fashion show" style-critics...? Clearly, I don't. And it shows, too.



Small