Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Collection: Ride Control 158

Photobucket

Photobucket
Beautiful! Simply beautiful...!! The '09 Burton Freestyles are definitely not "period-correct", obviously. I guess I totally forgot to even buy bindings for this one...

It's been a while since we've added a piece of the collection to the mix, so here's a classic Ride: A Ride Control 158, circa about 2000 or so.

Here's the story on this one: I've owned several Controls over the years. They were always [at the time] directional, full-wrap cap constructions, with great tip protection (usually, aluminum base inserts), and a fairly stiff flex pattern for added pop and drive for heavy-ass bigfooters [like me].

Photobucket
Stop drooling! I know you can't help it, but jeez, people...

I bought this one, I believe, just before I left New England to move to Indiana. Once I got here, I bought my first wide board... and unfortunately for this Control, I never, ever looked back.

I "re-discovered" this board in my archives just this year, and realized that it had only been ridden once in it's life. And, it wasn't even me that rode it! (It was Erin's mom, just for the record).

Photobucket
I think this is one of the first die-cut bases that I ever saw... let alone, bought. Poppy colors that are truly fit for a king. Classic...!

Realizing that I had not ridden this even once in my life, I decided to [finally] set it up, and give it a go. And, I'll tell ya... for a small, narrow, all-cap board that's at least 10 years old now... this little fucker ripped! Plenty fast, super crisp and responsive, still stiff as hell... and still, a real rocket-booster of a deck. If I was 10 years younger, 100(+) lbs. lighter, and a few foot sizes smaller, I'd be all over this bitch. But alas: It's now back on the wall, where those gorgeous jazz-themed graphics can retire with dignity and grace. After one session!

I figure, the looks of this one alone completely justify whatever it was that I paid for it. I'll bet that, after seeing it, you'll wholeheartedly agree.

Photobucket